Friday, February 02, 2007

Ferries and Grey's Anatomy

Apparently the next 2 episodes of Grey's Anatomy will feature the WA state ferry system prominently [psbj]. I am a big fan of the ferries (much like the show's characters, I guess), so I'm pretty excited about this. In case you didn't know, Washington has the largest car ferry system in the US and the third largest in the world [wikipedia]. You drive your car onto the car deck, and then you can go upstairs to enjoy the ride. They used to serve warm food in a small cafeteria, but they discontinued that service back in 2003 [p-i]. Ironically, I remember reading a story not too much later saying that the ferries were making more money from the vending machines than they did from the cafeterias. Lower overhead, I suppose. Anyway, I love going to the front or back deck of the ferry and watching the mountains and water from the middle of Puget Sound. One of the most interesting routes is the Seattle-Bremerton ferry, which takes you into the channels of the Kitsap Peninsula. I'm excited to watch Grey's to see how they portray the ferries in these episodes!

1 comment:

thomas robey said...

I don't know much (anything) about the characters on Grey's Anatomy, but I do know that I like the ferries enough to take Susan on occasional dates there. We walk on. Think of the ferry as a destination, not just a route!